BPC

Promotions

Copyright © BPCPromotions  |   Privacy Policy

Bison Meat!

Some Interesting Health Facts About Bison:

Vitamins and Nutrition

   This nutritious meat is lower in fat than beef and lower in cholesterol than chicken, making it a healthy alternative to these more commonly consumed meats.

   A 3-ounce serving of roasted bison meat contains 122 calories, 24.2 grams of protein and 2.1 grams of fat, including just 0.8 gram of saturated fat.

   Bison will boost your intake of B Vitamins. Each serving contains 14% of the Daily Vitamin for Riboflavin, 16% of Niacin, 17% of Vitamin B-6 and 41% of Vitamin B-12.

   The health of your eyes, hair and skin depends on these B Vitamins, which also help you turn the food you eat into energy and ensure healthy liver and nervous system function.

   A serving of bison will give you 56% Iron, 18% Phosphorus, 21% Zinc 43% Selenium. Iron is important for forming red blood cells to bring oxygen where it is needed in your body, and Phosphorus helps form strong bones. You need Zinc to be able to smell and taste, and Selenium for forming DNA and preventing cell damage from free radicals.

   Substituting Beef with Bison means you will be less likely to develop clogged arteries, according to a study published in "Nutrition Research" in April 2013.

   Bison is one of the low-fat meats recommended by the USDA as part of a balanced & nutritious diet.

   The total fat contents of Bison and ground Turkey are nearly identical. A 4-ounce serving of ground Bison has 10 grams of total fat and 4 grams of saturated fat, while ground Turkey has 10.5 grams of total fat and 3 grams of saturated for this same serving size.

   The amount of saturated fat in these meats is relatively low compared to Beef and Pork.

   **Saturated fat causes an increase in low-density lipoprotein, or LDL, which is the bad type of cholesterol.

   According to MedlinePlus, your daily caloric intake should consist of 10% saturated fat or less. Total fat should be in the range of 25% to 35%. If you are strictly watching your fat intake, look for special fat-free ground Turkey.

   Bison contains considerably less fat than Beef. A 3.5 oz. serving of Bison contains 2.42 g of fat while the same size of choice Beef has 18.54 g and select beef has 8.09 g. Of the total fat in Beef, 46.3 percent of it is saturated fat while 43.4 percent of the total fat in Bison meat is saturated fat. Both Beef and Bison also contain heart-healthy fats.

   Grass-fed Bison provides nutrient dense, low fat, low cholesterol meat with as many Omega-3s per serving as Salmon, and three to six times the amount of Omega-3s as grain fed animals.

   It also contains the highest-known levels of the fat-blocker and anti-carcinogen, CLA (conjugated linolaic acid). Research on CLA is showing evidence that CLA has the potential to reduce the risk of cancer, obesity, diabetes, and a number of immune disorders.

   Bison fits the dietary recommendations of the American Heart and American Diabetes associations.

   Grass-fed Bison contains four times the amount of Vitamin E found in grain fed beef. It is also a rich source of the Vitamin Beta-Carotene, a vital antioxidant which reduces the risk of cancer by preventing cell degeneration.

 

How To Cook It:

   Bison may not be your first choice for a dinner roast, however, this lean red meat receives high praises by both nutritionists and chefs alike. Bison contains far less fat per ounce than Beef, and it can be prepared as braised roasts or used in stews.

   It also contains a high proportion of proteins, essential fatty acids and minerals, including Iron.

   However, bison meat is tougher than other varieties, and for best results you should slow-cook the meat to tenderize it. Using a crock pot (or slow cooker) easy and time-saving way to cook, and using this method will give you a tender, juicy Bison roast
.

There are many questions surrounding the consumption of Bison, nutritional benefits, where it comes from, how to cook it and how to store it safely. The following is a short fact-sheet comprised from a large variety of sources from the Internet which offers to answer some questions. As with any food you decide to try, consume at your own risk.